100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

GNWT continues to waive general ID card fees for IA applicants

The GNWT will continue to waive the fees for government identification cards for people who successfully apply for the income assistance program.

The program, started back in 2017, is a collaboration between the Departments of Education, Culture and Employment and Infrastructure. The cards help homeless people and others who have difficulty obtaining ID to access services, like opening a bank account or travelling for medical treatment out of territory.

To date, the partnership has helped 70 income assistance clients to obtain a GIC, at a savings of $51.00 per person. 

“Providing a means of accessing services and supports gives Income Assistance clients dignity, encourages self-reliance, and creates structure in their lives and the lives of their families,” R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment, said in a statement.

“Bringing groups together to create innovative and sometimes very simple solutions to problems is a good way to serve the residents of the NWT.”

Income assistance programs are open for any NT resident aged 19 years or older, who is currently looking for work and meets several needs-based criteria.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.