100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

UPDATE: False positive COVID-19 case at Gahcho Kué mine

Update 8:35 p.m.: The presumptive COVID-19 test at Gahcho Kué was a false positive, according to the Chief Public Health Officer.

Dr. Kami Kandola said the results were confirmed with the GNWT’s own rapid testing machines, and it was found the positive test that had been reported at Gahcho Kué was false.

The presumptive positive had only been reported earlier today. The result was returned far quicker than confirmation of the two presumptive COVID-19 cases in Yellowknife – which were confirmed positive. It took those results four days to be returned.

The false-positive result was confirmed by Kandola during a press conference Wednesday evening.

That happened because the territory’s rapid testing machines were in the process of being validated on Monday. The validation was completed on Monday.

Update 4:30 p.m.:  The worker who tested positive at Gahcho Kué mine is a resident of Yellowknife and contact tracing has started.

Immediate household members of the individual and identified contacts were quickly informed and directed to isolate, and given appropriate public health advice, according to Julie Green, the Minister for Health.

Public Health has arranged for immediate testing of these contacts.  

Testing conducted upon the arrival of a new team of miners found one presumptive case of COVID-19 at Gahcho Kué mine.

The new group of miners arrived at the mine — 280 kilometres northeast of Yellowknife — on Monday, where they were tested for COVID-19.

One of the miners, who arrived on a flight from Yellowknife, tested positive for COVID-19 and is now self-isolating in the “dedicated quarantine wing” of the mine, according to a statement from De Beers, the company who owns and operates the mine.

The statement adds that 18 other miners who had travelled from Yellowknife with the individual are also self-isolating, “out of an abundance of caution.” Those 18 miners tested negative upon arrival.

De Beers is working with the GNWT and the chief public health officer, and is conducting follow-up testing on any workers at the mine who may have been impacted.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.