Ottawa announces $19-billion in COVID-19 support for provinces and territories

The Trudeau government is providing $19-billion for provinces and territories to help deal with COVID-19.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the funding in a media conference Thursday afternoon, saying the money is to help prepare for a potential second wave of the virus and to help get people back to work.
Trudeau says there are seven areas that are designated for financial help including seniors in long-term care homes and securing more personal protective equipment.
There will be certain conditions applied to the funding.
He says there will be specific assistance for municipalities and transit included in the funding announced.
Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland also announced the funding agreement includes up to ten paid sick days for employees who don’t currently have them.
Trudeau also confirmed that Canada and the U.S. have extended border restrictions until August 21st.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Fort Simpson police ask for assistance in shooting investigation

Fort Simpson RCMP are asking for assistance from the public in relation to their ongoing investigation into a shooting last week.

$55 million contract awarded for housing development on 54th Avenue

Housing NWT has announced that a construction contract for a 64-unit housing development in Yellowknife has been awarded to PCL Construction.

Norman Wells RCMP respond to reports of bootlegging activity

One suspect has been charged by Norman Wells RCMP following their response to reports of bootlegging activity within the community.

Housing NWT launches new Technical Team pilot project

Housing NWT has announced their new Technical Team pilot project in the Beaufort Delta, Sahtu, and Nahendeh districts to improve the delivery of repairs and provide preventative maintenance.

U.S. delays Canadian tariffs three days as Trump claims trade deal

The United States postponed planned 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days as U.S. President Donald Trump said the two countries had reached a trade deal.