WSCC files charges against Qikiqtarjuaq for safety violations

In a statement released Friday May 8th, the Workers’ Safety and Compensation Commission stated it has filed charges against the Municipality of Qikiqtarjuaq regarding violations of the Safety Act as well as the Nunavut’s Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.  

In the statement, the WSCC says they filed five charges in the Nunavut Court of Justice under the Nunavut Safety Act on Friday May 1st.

The first court appearance in this matter is scheduled in Qikiqtarjuaq docket court for October 7th.

The municipality is charged with multiple counts alleging various offences in violation of the Safety Act and Occupational Health and Safety Regulations of Nunavut, including:

  1. operating an aerial device lifting unit in contravention to a Stop Use Order
  2. operating an aerial device lifting unit which had not been maintained and inspected by competent individuals
  3. operating an aerial device lifting unit which did not have a maintenance and inspection record attached to the operator’s station indicating the required maintenance had been carried out in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications
  4. failing to adequately train workers in the selection, care, and use of fall protection equipment prior to use
  5. failing to ensure that all compressed gas cylinders are used, stored, and maintained in such a way as to protect the item from damage

WSCC says the charges arose between the 15th and 16th of May 2019 at an inspection of a Municipality of Qikiqtarjuaq worksite, in the Nunavut Territory

Upon inspection WSCC officials saw that a Stop Use Order on an aerial device lifting unit was being disregarded by workers.

The WSCC held a reminder for all employers that their legislated worksite responsibilities include 

  • ensuring all workers and supervisors receive training, instruction and supervision necessary to ensure the safety of workers and the worksite, AND
  • ensuring that any machinery at the worksite has the sufficient safety measures in place to prevent incident and injury
Mo Fahim
Mo Fahim
The Moose News Reporter, If you see any news in the making contact The Moose News Team at 100news.moosefm.com or call 867-920-2523

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

“Bears are back!” (again)

With bears in the territory awakening from hibernation, the department of the Environment warn bears are “active” in the NWT and urge folks to take steps to keep a distance and keep safe. The N.W.T. is known as “bear country’ and home to black, grizzly and polar bears. While bears generally avoid contact with people, encounters happen.

Fort Providence RCMP charge suspect following search warrant

Fort Providence RCMP says they have arrested and charged a suspect with drug charges following the execution of a search warrant.

Road work to be conducted in Yellowknife over the next two weeks

The City of Yellowknife has retained the services of Stantec Consulting Ltd. to carry out geotechnical investigations in several areas of the city, in perpetration for upcoming Sewer & Water and paving improvements.

NWT responds to PM’s new power strategy

In a media release issued Thursday naming the Taltson expansion, the federal government emphasized the importance of the energy supply in building an “affordable, competitive and sustainable” economy. In response, Northern energy experts agree an expanded countrywide clean electric grid is vital but ask who benefits when the multibillion dollar proposed Taltson expansion won’t reach the communities that need it most.

Major Project Review Tool and Regional Database launched by Mackenzie Review Board

The Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board just launched a new online Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool. The board said the new tools will help make way for more “timely, coordinated and evidence-based” decisions on major projects in the Slave Geological Province within the NWT.