100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

One dead, five missing in Canadian military helicopter crash off coast of Greece

The province of Nova Scotia is bearing even a heavier burden today.  Under the shadow of COVID-19, and the mass shooting that killed 22, another Nova Scotian has lost her life in a Canadian Armed Forces helicopter crash off the coast of Greece.

According to the Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Harjit Sajjan there were six people on board and only Sub-lieutenant Abbigail Cowbrough’s body has been recovered.  Sajjan says the flight data recorder and the voice recorder have been found and the Flight Safety Team is leaving today to continue to investigate.  A cause of the crash is not known, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says, “I can assure you we will get answers in due course.”

The Cyclone helicopter crashed yesterday in the Ionian Sea during a basic training exercise and was returning back to the HMCS Fredericton which is part of the NATO mission Operation Reassurance. A search and recovery mission is still underway.

Trudeau gave his condolences on behalf of the country to the families and friends and members of the Canadian Armed Forces, the people of Halifax and Nova Scotia, “Operation Reassurance is Canada at its best bolstering security in the Mediterranean.”

The Prime Minister also reference Armed Forces members on the frontlines of COVID-19 here at home saying they are working day and night to protect “our grandparents, aunts, and uncles in our senior’s homes”

Minister of Defence Harjit Sajjan says the federal government is staying in touch with allies from Italy, the U.S., Greece, and Turkey who are assisting in the search for the remaining military members.

Updates, according to Sajjan, will be given as soon as it is “appropriate to do so.”

Canada’s Cyclone helicopters have been put on an operational pause, to allow the Armed Forces to remember their colleagues and eliminate any possible issues with the helicopters until the investigation is complete.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.