100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Feds lowers wage subsidy revenue loss to 15-percent

The federal government is lowering the amount of money a business has lost in March to qualify for the wage subsidy.  In order to qualify for the Canadian Emergency Wage subsidy businesses had to prove a 30-percent loss in gross revenue.  This morning Justin Trudeau says that has now been reduced to 15-percent and businesses can choose to use January and February revenue to demonstrate the loss.  Trudeau says they recognized that new business wouldn’t be able to use last year’s revenue as a comparison.  Trudeau said the lower revenue loss threshold was put in place, “Because most of us only felt the impact of COVID-19 halfway through the month.” The CEWS will provide up to $847 to companies to pay their employees.

Trudeau also announced the Canada Summer Jobs program will be altered so kids can find summer jobs when things return to normal. Employers will now be subsidized for 100-percent of a student’s wage.  The program will also be extended to January and part-time students will also be covered. He said more

Trudeau will be attending the Cabinet meeting today in person after a month in self-isolation at his home.  He says he is leaving for some strategic meetings but will continue to work most days from home. Trudeau says the draft legislation is being debated and reviewed by members of the Opposition, but could not provide a date when Parliament will be recalled to vote on it, “This is the largest measure in Canadian government history. The opposition (in order to) adopt the legislation, they need to study it and agree that it is the right way to help Canadians, we are working with the Opposition.”

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

A13 year old Indigenous youth is missing from Behchokǫ̀

A 13 year old Indigenous youth who was last seen leaving his home in Behchokǫ̀ at 4 pm yesterday is missing. Police are asking the public for information to help locate him.

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency