Hundreds of thousands apply for CERB on first morning

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says 240,000 people have applied since it opened. The only people filing today were born in January, February, and March. The rest can apply in three-month increments over the rest of the week. Trudeau also says help is on the way for people who don’t immediately qualify for the CERB, including people who are working fewer hours than they normally would, or hours have been reduced to less than 10 a week, and for post-secondary students who will be out of money from the lack of summer jobs.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged the second anniversary of the Humboldt bus crash. In his daily address, he talked about the 16 hockey players and team staff that lost their lives too soon. He said the community of Humboldt with its strength and resiliency has shown the rest of the country that “we can get through even the darkest of times.”

Trudeau says Parliament will be recalled to pass its second piece of emergency legislation. He was adamant that Parliament must continue to work in order to make sure the business of the country continues. He said they are still looking at ways to meet virtually. Earlier today Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said a smaller number of MPs have proven successful in holding up physical distancing measures when meeting and suggests in-person meetings should continue.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife police announce Bike Bait program to deter bike theft

Yellowknife RCMP has announced they will be launching a ‘Bike Bait’ program to help prevent bicycle theft this summer.

Wildfire prevention to continue across southern NWT in coming weeks

Wildfire prevention activities are taking place in southern regions of the territory this week. Crews are working on tree line remediation and wildfire prevention in Hay River, while Fort Smith saw a prescribed burn Wednesday. Today, territorial officials plan to announce a new wildfire prevention program.

Skills Canada NWT announces list of competitors for national competition

Skills Canada NWT has announced Team NWT, 19 competitors from the territory who will be travelling to compete in the Skills Canada National Competition next week.  

Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund split into separate funding streams

The Government of the Northwest Territories has announced that the Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund will now be split into three distinct funding streams.

Ministers congratulate new Major Project Review Tool

Ministers Jay Macdonald, Caitlin Cleveland, and Caroline Wawzonek have released a statement following the launch of the Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board’s new Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool last week.