Family ‘going through hell’ says shooting suspect’s mother

The mother of a Yellowknife teenager charged with attempted murder says her family is “going through hell”.

Kimberley Paul, 41, showed up to support her son, Brendan, as he appeared in territorial court on Thursday.

Brendan Paul and fellow suspect Travis Campbell, a 26-year-old from Langley, British Columbia, both face two counts of attempted murder after Sunday’s Fraser Arms shooting and subsequent police chase in Yellowknife.

Arrests: Yellowknife shooting: Two men face attempted murder charges

What happened: Gunfire, police chase rock city of Yellowknife

Paul, 18, appeared in a green t-shirt alongside Campbell, bespectacled in a white, collared shirt, for a short hearing on Thursday.

Kimberley Paul and Brendan Paul
Kimberley Paul and Brendan Paul, seen in a publicly available Facebook photo dated May 2014.

No new information of note was presented. The two are next expected to appear in court via video link on June 2.

Kimberley Paul said her family was “going through hell” shortly before her son appeared in the dock.

“I’m actually really shocked by all of this,” she later told reporters. “As of now, my family and I are going through a lot of stuff.

“Things will come out, and the story will be told in the end. The truth will come out in the end. That’s all I have to say for now.”

Police have previously described Sunday’s events as a “targeted attack” on two individuals. One man suffered a shoulder wound as residents of the Fraser Arms apartment block reported a series of shots fired.

An SUV allegedly driven by Campbell then led RCMP on a lengthy chase across the city, before two occupants were arrested on Grace Lake Boulevard.

True North FM
True North FM
CJCD Moose FM broadcasts to Yellowknife and Hay River in Canada's Northwest Territories.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Expanded environmental assessment proposed for Mackenzie Valley Highway

The Government of the Northwest Territories is moving to expand the scope of environmental assessment for the Mackenzie Valley Highway to include the corridor from Norman Wells to a connection with the Dempster Highway.

Taltson Hydro Plant maintenance shutdown started early

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation has announced that the annual summer maintenance shutdown of the Taltson Hydro Plant has been moved forward to begin on August 16 and is scheduled to last until August 27.

South Slave fire reignited by ongoing drought

Warm and dry conditions in parts of the territory have contributed to drying fuels, allowing new wildfires to form more easily or reignite after being initially contained.

Consensus reached on the proposed route for the AESC

The Yellowknives Dene First Nation and the Tłı̨chǫ Government have announced that they have reached a consensus on the proposed corridor for the Arctic Economic and Security Corridor, an all-season road that will connect the NWT to the Nunavut border.

Fish for Sale exhibit going on tour of the North and South Slave

Fish for Sale: A History of Commercial Fishing on Great Slave Lake, a feature exhibit at the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre will be travelling to several communities in the North and South Slave.