100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Nunavut residents angered after potentially edible food was dumped in the Pangnirtung landfill

In Canada, people waste upwards to 31 billion dollars in food each year. A recent discovery of potentially edible food by a Nunavut resident at the Pangnirtung landfill has left him angered.

On October 25, Nunavut resident, David Kilabuk was appalled after a grocery store chain, the Northern Store, dumped piles of meat, eggs, bread and vegetables at the local landfill.

The company said it was concerned about customer safety and decided to discard some refrigerated products and thawed frozen products out of an abundance of caution once they were informed power would not be restored. Arthur C. Green/Facebook Image

“It is just cruel and heartless to waste this food where it is truly needed,” Kilabuk said. “It is just common sense to not waste food where it is truly needed.”

Kilabuk says the items which were thrown away were damaged as much as possible by whoever put them there so people wouldn’t pick them up.

“Why not give them to the food bank,” Kilabuk said. “We will most likely see higher prices on our food soon to make up for this loss.”

Derek Reimer is the Director of Business Development for The North West Company which runs the Northern Store in Nunavut.

“The community of Pangnirtung, NU, experienced a power outage last week,” Reimer said. “We were initially informed power would be restored the same day and anticipated minimizing any spoilage as a result.”

Reimer says, unfortunately, power was not restored to the community until approximately 5 p.m. the next day.

“In keeping with CFIA guidelines, practicing safe food-handling is an important part of our store operations.  Our store was concerned about customer safety and decided to discard some refrigerated products and thawed frozen products out of an abundance of caution once they were informed power would not be restored,” Reimer said. “Our standard policy in these situations is to discount and then donate any unsold food that is safe for consumption to local food banks or meal programs if available in the community.”

Reimer says the company should have checked with the community sooner in the process to determine if any could be donated.

“This was a mistake on our part and we apologize to the community,” Reimer said. “We will remind our stores about the importance of our food donation policy and ask them to reach out to local officials in such circumstances going forward.”

[email protected]

twitter.com/artcgreen

Arthur C. Green
Arthur C. Green
Arthur C. Green is from Whitbourne Newfoundland and graduated from the CNA Journalism Program. Arthur also studied Business Marketing and Political Science at Memorial University in Essex England and St. John's Newfoundland. Green has worked as a spot news photographer/journalist with such news organizations as CBC, CBC Radio, NTV, Saltwire and Postmedia in Alberta.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls on leaders to prevent unregulated weapons exports

Amid the extreme cold wild chill temperatures of -50 degrees Celsius, a local activist group held a rally today outside of Minister MP Rebecca Alty’s office in Yellowknife, calling leaders to back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons. The group called on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S.

65 year old in custody after alleged robbery at Dollarama in Yellowknife

A 65 year old suspect remains in custody after police received a report of an armed robbery yesterday at Dollarama in Yellowknife. On Feb. 16 Yellowknife RCMP received a report that a suspect had allegedly “pulled a knife” on staff reportedly fleeing on foot with a “quantity” of merchandise from the store.

Yellowknife RCMP take youth suspect into custody after firearms complaint

Yellowknife RCMP have taken a youth suspect into custody following a firearms complaint.

New program hopes to assist youth in crisis in Yellowknife

Home Base Yellowknife, Yellowknife Education District No. 1, Yellowknife Catholic Schools, and the Government of the Northwest Territories are collaborating on the Home Base Stabilization Education Program (STEP).

A 13 year old Indigenous youth is missing from Behchokǫ̀

A 13 year old Indigenous youth who was last seen leaving his home in Behchokǫ̀ at 4 pm yesterday is missing. Police are asking the public for information to help locate him.