Last evening, at the Recreation Centre’s Community Hall in Hay River, the NWT Recreation and Parks Association (NWTRPA) welcomed guests for the 2019 NWTRPA Awards Banquet.
Seven individuals from across the NWT were recognized for their continuing efforts and achievements in promoting recreation and active living for all northerners.
“There are so many recreation leaders in the territory who, every day, are going above and beyond what is expected of them,” Geoff Ray, Executive Director of the NWTRPA said. “Whether they’re a recreation coordinator, volunteer, lifeguard, or an Elder, the awards are our way of showing those individuals that their work is important and appreciated.”
Six awards were presented at this year’s event. The winners are as follows:
- Award of Excellence – Dale Loutit (Hay River)
- Innovation Award – Karen Johnson (Yellowknife)
- Scott McAdam Youth Leadership Award – Davonna Kasook (Inuvik)
- Active Elder Award – Lena and Henry McKay (Fort Resolution)
- Canadian Parks and Recreation Association Award of Merit – Doreen Nitsiza (Whatì)
- Honourary Life Membership – Joanne Ogina (Ulukhaktok)
“The NWTRPA is pleased to announce Dale, Karen, Davonna, Lena, Henry, Doreen, and Joanne as our 2019 award
winners,” Ray said. “Through their leadership and dedication, each of these individuals has made a real difference in their communities.”
The NWT Recreation and Parks Association works with communities across the NWT to promote healthy living
through active recreation. For more information on the organization visit us at www.nwtrpa.org.