100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Major Yellowknife drug busts, $200,000-plus in cash seized

RCMP in Yellowknife have seized a wide range of drugs and more than $200,000 in cash after a six-month investigation.

Police raided a Frame Lake residence and local storage facility on Wednesday.

Two men from British Columbia were arrested during the raid and face a series of charges related to drug trafficking.

The cash was found alongside 593 OxyContin pills, 557 grams of crack cocaine, 180 grams of powder cocaine, 536 grams of marijuana and 1.6 kilos of phenacetin, also known as ‘superbuff’.

A substance believed to be a cocaine cutting agent and two stolen guitars were also found.

Police believe the OxyContin pills contained fentanyl, which was the subject of a public health warning earlier this year.

Read: Rise of street fentanyl prompts warning in Yellowknife

“This is a significant seizure that has a large monetary value,” read an RCMP statement.

“More importantly, removing these substances from the community has the potential to save lives.”

The two men in custody are William Nelson Castro, a 23-year-old from Vancouver, and 47-year-old Hassen Abdul Mohamed, from Burnaby. Both are due in court on Monday.

“We are pleased to get this large quantity of dangerous drugs, and the illicit profits derived from this activity, off the streets of Yellowknife,” said Sergeant Dean Riou in a statement.

“We believe this investigation will have a significant impact on the safety of the community.

“Police have noted the continuing trend of people temporarily setting up residence in Yellowknife to sell drugs, and this sends a strong message that these people are not welcome in the community.”

Nor was this the only police raid of the week.

RCMP say a “separate yet parallel” investigation, also in the Frame Lake area, uncovered more than $19,000 in cash alongside 40.7 grams of marijuana, 27 Percocet pills, and cocaine residue.

Three people, all Yellowknife residents, have been arrested and charged in relation to the second raid: 19-year-old Todd Dub, 21-year-old Husam Ali, and Ajanthan Mahalingham, also 21.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.