Charge stayed against former Legion bartender Leaman

A charge against a Yellowknife woman accused of stealing from the local Legion branch has been stayed.

Hellen Leaman, 49, had been arrested alongside 42-year-old Mary Charles on January 30.

But the charge of theft over $5,000 facing Leaman was stayed in court earlier this week.

Staying the charge is roughly the equivalent of withdrawing it, with the important distinction that a stayed charge can be reintroduced within the following 12 months (though this is unusual).

The Legion had accused both women of theft to the value of more than $60,000 over a period of six months.

“We went to view our video tapes and I saw there were grounds for the RCMP to be called,” Lloyd Lush, president of the Legion branch, told us at the time.

“I feel good but I still think it was wrong,” Leaman, who worked as a bartender at the Legion, told the Yellowknifer newspaper this week.

“I’ve been trashed, my name has been trashed. It’s going to be hard to get a job.”

Read: Yellowknife Legion in need of help as staff numbers dwindle

At the time of her arrest, Leaman initially appeared to dispute the charge on Facebook but later did not comment when contacted by Moose FM.

The charge against Charles remains and that case continues.

Crown prosecutors do have the option of reintroducing the charge against Leaman within the next 12 months, but admit a conviction is not likely.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Water levels “above average” on Mackenzie at Aklavik as ice-break up underway

Environmental scientists with the territory’s Environment and Climate Change department said that ice break-up along the Peel River is “near complete.” Data collected as of this morning showed that ice break up continues along the Mackenzie Delta, with water levels "above average" in Aklavik.

New program formally integrates wildland and structural firefighting

The territorial government and the Northwest Territories Fire Chiefs Association have just unveiled a new program that formally integrates N.W.T. wildfire and community emergency response. While the Wildland Urban Interface program is aimed at responding to a need for “stronger integration” between wildland and structural firefighting during wildfire threats, some responsibilities remain delegated to the municipal level.

No word yet on what caused Taltson’s newly repaired surge tank to leak

It will be “several” more days before more is known about a reported leak at the Taltson Station’s surge tank. South Slave hydro customers were transfered to diesel fuel this weekend as N.W.T.’s Power Corporation inspects the Talston surge tank, after some water was observed leaking from the tank.

GNWT alerts Canvas users of security breach

The Government of the Northwest Territories is notifying users of the Canvas learning management platform of a security incident involving Canvas’ parent company, Instructure.

NTPC warns of potential short outages in Inuvik

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation is warning residents of Inuvik that during planned work on the local power plant the community may experience short intermittent power outages.