B.C. murder suspects leave behind cell phone video; PM denies criminal activity in SNC-Lavalin case

Suspect’s families have been allowed to see about 30 seconds of the video

The two young murder suspects who were the subject of a nationwide manhunt left behind a last will and testament.  According to the Toronto Star the pair used a cellphone to record the video before killing themselves in northern Manitoba. The video is reported to include wishes for their remains and a goodbye to their families.  Parts of the video have been shown to the families of Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky.

Trudeau says SNC-Lavalin actions were not illegal

Justin Trudeau is admitting his government made mistakes in the handling of the SNC-Lavalin file.  But the PM rejects the Tories claim that his actions were criminal.  Conservative leader Andrew Scheer has again called on the RCMP to investigate whether there was criminal activity in the case.  Last week the Ethics Commissioner found that Trudeau had violated the Ethics Act.

PM says travelling to participate in terrorism is “a crime”

The PM isn’t saying whether an accused ISIS fighter will be allowed to live in Canada.  Jack Letts, nicknamed “Jihadi Jack”, was a dual Canadian-British citizen until the U.K. revoked his passport.  Letts is being held in a Kurdish prison.  Justin Trudeau didn’t directly answer questions about whether he would be allowed back into this country.

Social media giants shut down sites influencing Hong Kong protests

Twitter and Facebook have shut down accounts they say may have been sowing the seeds of unrest in Hong Kong.  Pro-democracy protests which have often been violent have been underway in Hong Kong for months.  In all the two social media giants removed about 1-thousand accounts that were being used to undermine the protest movement.

Lung illness sends dozens of teens to American hospitals

In the U.S. a mysterious new lung disease is being investigated.  The Centre for Disease Control says the lung illness may be linked to vaping.  Dozens of teens were hospitalized in the Midwest last week with symptoms of chest pain, vomiting and shortness of breath. Most reported using vaping devices for tobacco and THC.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

“Bears are back!” (again)

With bears in the territory awakening from hibernation, the department of the Environment warn bears are “active” in the NWT and urge folks to take steps to keep a distance and keep safe. The N.W.T. is known as “bear country’ and home to black, grizzly and polar bears. While bears generally avoid contact with people, encounters happen.

Fort Providence RCMP charge suspect following search warrant

Fort Providence RCMP says they have arrested and charged a suspect with drug charges following the execution of a search warrant.

Road work to be conducted in Yellowknife over the next two weeks

The City of Yellowknife has retained the services of Stantec Consulting Ltd. to carry out geotechnical investigations in several areas of the city, in perpetration for upcoming Sewer & Water and paving improvements.

NWT responds to PM’s new power strategy

In a media release issued Thursday naming the Taltson expansion, the federal government emphasized the importance of the energy supply in building an “affordable, competitive and sustainable” economy. In response, Northern energy experts agree an expanded countrywide clean electric grid is vital but ask who benefits when the multibillion dollar proposed Taltson expansion won’t reach the communities that need it most.

Major Project Review Tool and Regional Database launched by Mackenzie Review Board

The Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board just launched a new online Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool. The board said the new tools will help make way for more “timely, coordinated and evidence-based” decisions on major projects in the Slave Geological Province within the NWT.