Nine semi-finalists have advanced to the next round of Win Your Space YK. The semi-finalists will attend eight free business development workshops in June before submitting a complete business plan to the jury. The video submissions of the semi-finalists explaining their business ideas can be viewed here.
The nine finalists for Win Your Space YK are:
- Access to Phage Therapy by Pamela Murray
- BB Cooking by Bouchra Ellaham
- Lulu and Finch Children’s Clothing Store by Carmen Griffin and Chelsey Armstrong
- D&T Banh Mi by Trung Bui and Thuy Duyen Nguyen
- Fat Fish (Fresh Wild GSL Fish Restaurant) by Liang Chen
- YK Jewelry by Thanh Luu
- Makerspace YK by Cat McGurk and Makerspace YK
- Akadi-Cuisine d’ici et d’ailleurs by Aminata Konate
- YZF Tech Repairs by Keegen Payne
Since 2017, more than 20 entrepreneurs have benefited from the free business development workshops and five finalists have opened a business in downtown Yellowknife as a result of the competition.
80% of semi-finalists rated the workshops as the number one benefit of the program, and all semi-finalists said Win Your Space YK supported the development of their business idea states to Mayor Rebecca Alty.
“Based on feedback from past participants, more workshops have been added to the program this year to support these aspiring entrepreneurs in the creation of their business plans. We are excited to offer this opportunity and look forward to seeing who will reach the Grand Finale and open a business downtown.”
Now in its third edition, Win Your Space YK is a business incubation competition aimed at inspiring Yellowknifers to start or expand their business, while preparing them with business development workshops, providing access to useful network connections and resources, as well as revitalizing the downtown area.