100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Wildfire update: Lightning, smoky conditions coming to southern NWT

NWT wildfire update for May 27th, 2019:

As the NWTs 136 firefighters finish up their training and the fire service starts full operations, officials say fire activity in the territory is in line with what is expected this time of year.

Twelve fires have been reported and declared out – four in the Deh Cho, three in the North Slave and five in the South Slave. All 12 are suspected to be ‘person-caused’ and as warm and dry conditions persist manager of fire operations Richard Olsen warns residents to be careful when starting campfires.

“Ensuring they pick a spot as clear of vegetation as much as possible and use rocks, and clear down to mineral soil to reduce the chance of anything spreading into the forest. And make sure your fire is totally out before you leave.”

The first fire suspected to be caused by lightning was detected Monday near the Alberta – NWT border, east of Hay River near Highway 1. Olsen says he expects more fires like this one as lightning begins in the Deh Cho and South Slave areas.

With southerly and westerly winds expected, Olson adds these two regions could also experience thicker smoke coming from fires in Alberta and one in Wood Buffalo National Park.

Several areas in the southern NWT are under fire bans as the fire danger ranges from high to extreme. Environment Canada has issued a heat warning for the Fort Liard region as daytime temperatures are forecast to reach 30 degrees during the day until mid-week.

Olson says he will look at sending firefighters to help the NWT’s neighbours, including Alberta and the Yukon, if conditions cool off here.

Emelie Peacock
Emelie Peacock
News Reporter

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.