100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

First of two decisions approves changes at Snap Lake mine

De Beers Canada has been granted modifications to its water licence at the Snap Lake diamond mine.

The Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board announced its decision – the first of two – late on Thursday.

The decision relates to the level of total dissolved solids, such as minerals, salts and metals (abbreviated to ‘TDS’), allowed in waste water from the mine and all water in the area.

Among the changes, the board has allowed De Beers to remove an old “whole-lake average” of TDS set at 350 mg/L, and introduce a new “maximum monthly average” of 850 mg/L which applies specifically to effluent from the mine, rather than the overall level in the lake.

That will let De Beers operate the mine with a substantially increased overall TDS level of 684 mg/L in water at the site, and lake, as a whole. This target is called the “site-specific water quality objective”, abbreviated to SSWQO.

In full: The reasons behind Thursday’s Snap Lake decision (pdf)

The mine’s plans had faced opposition from the Lutsel K’e Dene First Nation, whose members expressed concern about a possible change in the taste of water and fish in the area; and from the territorial government, which requested further study of the potential consequences.

However, De Beers says the limit has to be raised as conditions underground at the mine are not what was forecast, with more TDS-rich water than had been anticipated.

If the TDS limit does not go up, De Beers argues effluent currently stored underground at the mine will have to remain in place. That, the company says, will effectively prevent the mine’s future operation – jeopardizing hundreds of jobs and $1 billion in regional investment.

The board said it had been convinced that the new limits will not have an adverse impact on fish in the area. The board also believes De Beers’ monitoring will detect any future issues before they have a lasting environmental effect.

Thursday’s first decision is important, and appears to show the board favoured De Beers’ scientific analysis and arguments.

But a second decision from the board, due in May, could further increase the allowed level of total dissolved solids.

After more tests in 2014, De Beers submitted a new application to once again increase the SSWQO of all water at the site to 1,000 mg/L, which is often quoted as the upper boundary of what is considered freshwater.

That application is what made headlines several months ago. It will be the subject of May’s second decision.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.