100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Three Yellowknife Students win contest for workplace safety video

A video by three Sir John Franklin high school students titled “Workplace Spook” won first place in the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety’s #FocusOnSafety National Youth Video Contest. The video encourages youths to be aware of their rights in the workplace.

The winning team of three students, Braeden Cordero, Markus Cluff and Tamara Jovic from Sir John Franklin and their sponsor/teacher had advanced to the Nationals following their win in the Workers’ Safety and Compensation Commission’s #FocusOnSafety territorial youth video contest last month.

The territorial contest invited students to create a two-minute video to help workers and employers create safer workplaces.

Barb Heming, WSCC Senior Occupational Health and Safety Inspector and one of the judges for the competition said the contest is a fantastic way to engage young people in workplace safety.

“We are impressed with how this team created such a memorable video. Their message about workers’ rights will appeal to employers, and workers of all ages.”

The video entry won $2,000 with a matching prize of $2,000 for their school. The video previously won $1,000 with a matching school prize of $1,000 in the territorial contest.

CCOHS announced the national win as part of a three-way tie during the National launch of Safety and Health Week May 5th-11th.

Keven Dow
Keven Dow
News. Keven moved here from Ontario in November of 2018. As of December Keven is back to doing full-time news after transitioning into a news/mid-days position in late 2019. Prior to that, he was doing weekends/news for about 8-9 months. He's from a small tomato town in Ontario and went to College at Fanshawe for Radio Broadcasting. He loves talking about sports, entertainment, the community, and local events. Got a news tip? Email me at [email protected]

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

A13 year old Indigenous youth is missing from Behchokǫ̀

A 13 year old Indigenous youth who was last seen leaving his home in Behchokǫ̀ at 4 pm yesterday is missing. Police are asking the public for information to help locate him.

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency