100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Long John Jamboree returns thanks to $11,000 donation

Long John Jamboree will return for a full festival thanks to a donation. The festival will run from March 29th till the 31st and will include the seventh annual De Beers inspired International Ice Carving Championship.

Last year, a blizzard with strong winds shut down the festival for a day, causing a loss of $22,000 from the event. Organizers raised $11,000 through fundraising to try to make the money back. De Beers Canada then stepped up and donated the remaining $11,000 fully paying back for last year’s loss.

President of Long John Jamboree, Michelle Demeule says the donation not only payed for last year’s loss, but helped kick start their fundraising and sponsorships for the 2019 event.

“Plans for this year are quickly shaping up and we look forward to a full-sized Jamboree with new events built around De Beers Inspired Ice Carving Competition.”

On top of the $11,000 donated for last year’s losses, De Beers will again provide $30,000 to the annual event, which is the second year of a five year, $150,000 sponsorship commitment to Long John Jamboree.

Gahcho Kué Mine General Manager, Allan Rodel says that they are pleased to be in a position to be able to contribute the additional $11,000 that was critically needed to ensure the long-term sustainability of the event.

“When we announced our five-year commitment to the festival in 2017, I said we wanted to be a part of something great, and we see the Long John Jamboree and De Beers Inspired Ice as providing that for Yellowknife and the greater Northwest Territories.”

The De Beers inspired International Ice Carving Competition is expected to once again draw top competitors internationally and in Canada with invitations already sent out. The field is expecting to comprise of at least eight teams, which is down from last year due to the lateness of the event.

Coordinator of the De Beers International Ice Carving Event, Keith MacNeill said that the lateness of the event announcement affected international carvers who had to plan for the event.

“The good news is that we are still receiving inquiries at this late stage from a number of world-class carvers, so we are confident it will be top flight field with outstanding entries again this year. We also hope to showcase top local talent as the interest in ice carving continues to grow here at home”.

The Jamboree will continue to reach out local businesses and individuals for sponsorship and to organize events for the festival. Interested parties should contact the Jamboree. Details and a full schedule of events for the Long John Jamboree and De Beers Inspired Ice International Ice Carving Competition will be released shortly once all events are finalized.

Greg Komarnicky
Greg Komarnicky
Programming

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.