Kingston Ontario youth charged in terrorism investigation; Short-term deal reached to end U.S. government shutdown

RCMP charge Kingston youth in terrorism investigation

The RCMP says there was no imminent threat to the public, but they have charged a youth in Kingston, Ontario with two terrorism-related offences.

The youth is alleged to have tried to get someone to plant a bomb in what police say was a credible attack plan. The Mounties say no actual device was planted and no target had been selected, but they did remove a potentially explosive substance from a home in Kingston and blew it up to neutralize it. A 20-year-old Syrian refugee described as a friend of the youth was also arrested Thursday but no charges have laid against him at this point.

Short-term deal reached to end U.S. government shutdown

American President Donald Trump has struck a short-term deal to reopen government for three weeks, ending the longest government shutdown in U.S. history.

Speaking in the White House rose garden Friday, Trump treated his announcement as a victory, though he did not get the funding he demanded for a border wall with Mexico. Instead Trump claimed that Democrats are willing to have some sort of barrier and he felt an agreement can be reached.

Census data shows population continues to age

The latest census data shows the continued greying population, a trend that started back in 2011.

Statistics Canada reports 17.2 per cent of Canadians were aged 65 and older as of last Canada Day, compared with 14.4 per cent seven years earlier. That’s the second-lowest proportion of seniors among the G7 countries.

Call for caribou herds in Alberta to be protected

Conservation groups and First Nations want five caribou herds in northeastern Alberta placed under a federal emergency protection order.

They have filed an application in Federal Court, arguing the federal Species At Risk Act compels action to protect critical habitat. The province says protecting critical caribou habitat is important, but so is protecting jobs and that it is waiting for promised federal funding to support further habitat restoration.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Expanded environmental assessment proposed for Mackenzie Valley Highway

The Government of the Northwest Territories is moving to expand the scope of environmental assessment for the Mackenzie Valley Highway to include the corridor from Norman Wells to a connection with the Dempster Highway.

Taltson Hydro Plant maintenance shutdown started early

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation has announced that the annual summer maintenance shutdown of the Taltson Hydro Plant has been moved forward to begin on August 16 and is scheduled to last until August 27.

South Slave fire reignited by ongoing drought

Warm and dry conditions in parts of the territory have contributed to drying fuels, allowing new wildfires to form more easily or reignite after being initially contained.

Consensus reached on the proposed route for the AESC

The Yellowknives Dene First Nation and the Tłı̀¨chÇ« Government have announced that they have reached a consensus on the proposed corridor for the Arctic Economic and Security Corridor, an all-season road that will connect the NWT to the Nunavut border.

Fish for Sale exhibit going on tour of the North and South Slave

Fish for Sale: A History of Commercial Fishing on Great Slave Lake, a feature exhibit at the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre will be travelling to several communities in the North and South Slave.