100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

YK1 issues memo to parents warning of online predator

Yellowknife’s YK1 school board has sent a memo to parents warning of a potential online predator.

The school board says it has been informed by police that someone is posing as a 16-year-old girl on Facebook and inviting young boys to post nude pictures and meet up with them.

YK1 staff has been asked to review internet safety with their students. The school board asks that parents do the same.

In full: YK1 school board’s memo regarding “potential Facebook predator”

“The prevalence of social media and information technology has changed communications for all generations of Canadians, including children,” said RCMP in a statement.

“New technologies have brought a new level of connectivity, but have also brought unique safety challenges into families.

“Cyber bullying, child luring, and child exploitation can be intimidating topics for parents and caregivers to think about, however raising awareness on these subjects can be an important tool in protecting the entire family.”

Police say it’s important for children to understand:

  • Not to give out their name, phone number, email address, passwords, or photos without your permission
  • Not to open email from people they do not know
  • Not to respond to hurtful or disturbing messages
  • Not to get together with people they “meet” online
Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.