100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

RCMP, OFM investigating after apartment fire

The Office of the Fire Marshall (OFM) is investigating after yesterday morning’s fire at Rockill Apartments.

Around 5 a.m. yesterday morning Yellowknife RCMP and the fire department responded to a call about a fire at the apartments on 54 Avenue.

While assisting with evacuating the building, one RCMP member suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to Stanton Territorial Hospital for medical assessment.

They have since been released and all registered occupants of the building are believed to have been accounted for.

“The rapid spread of the fire created a situation where first responders had to act collaboratively and quickly to contain the danger,” says Inspector Alex Laporte, Yellowknife RCMP Detachment Commander in a statement.

“We are thankful that our members and responders were not seriously injured and that the residents were able to get out safely.”

Remnants of Rockhill Apartments after Tuesday morning’s fire. Photo by Greg Komarnicky.

The now destroyed building housed the YWCA office and transitional housing facility, a 33 unit apartment building housing families who cannot access public or market housing.

The displaced residents are currently being housed in an emergency shelter at the fieldhouse. The Young Women’s Christian Association of Yellowknife (YWCA) NWT says they cannot currently accept clothing and houseware donations as they have nowhere to store them, but they are accepting monetary donations to the YWCA Rockhill Fire Fund, which can be made online.

“An emergency of this magnitude requires a multi-faceted response,” Yellowknife RCMP state in a news release.  RCMP also thanked the City of Yellowknife Fire Division, Emergency Medical Response Team, Municipal Enforcement Division and Public Works for their rapid response to the fire.

The RCMP are assisting the Office of the Fire Marshal in its investigation.

Meaghan Richens
Meaghan Richens
News reporter. Got news tips? Email me at [email protected] or hit me up on Twitter https://twitter.com/MeaghanRichens?lang=en

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

A13 year old Indigenous youth is missing from Behchokǫ̀

A 13 year old Indigenous youth who was last seen leaving his home in Behchokǫ̀ at 4 pm yesterday is missing. Police are asking the public for information to help locate him.

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency