100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

‘Hold me’ – winless Jamie Koe contemplates end of Brier career

Jamie Koe and the Northwest Territories ended the 2015 Brier with no wins and 11 defeats.

Skip Koe lost 8-4 to Ontario in Friday’s final round-robin match-up.

That painful record – “Hold me,” Koe had earlier tweeted – means the NWT will not receive automatic entry to next year’s men’s national curling championship.

The territory will instead have to come through a preliminary round to reach the main tournament. The same fate befell NWT women’s entrant Kerry Galusha, Koe’s sister, ahead of Scotties this year.

Galusha cried on TSN last month as her NWT rink was defeated by Northern Ontario for the right to take part in the Scotties main draw.

Koe has never been a fan of the relegation format. He says he may quit rather than endure it next year.

“We’ll see what happens,” Koe, 37, told the Calgary Sun on Thursday.

“We always play it a year at a time because curling’s our third priority behind family and work, so we’ll have to talk with the boys, because there’s only five or six of us up there that are really competitive, and we’ll see who wants to put in the time. So we’ll see who wants to curl or if we’re going to curl.

“I’ve got a pretty busy career and a pretty busy family life. I’d have to weigh it with the wife. It’s a lot of effort to put in and a lot of travel you have to do in those two or three (preliminary) games before you get to the Brier. It’s a lot of effort to win those two or three games before you play in the Brier, and there’s no guarantee you’re in the Brier.

“I’m pretty disappointed now, so I’d probably say ‘no’, but in a month or two, I might say ‘yes’.”

Earlier in the week, Koe described his distaste at watching his sister suffer in the Scotties preliminaries.

“It was tough watching her go through it,” he told the Edmonton Sun.

“They made it to the relegation draw live on TSN and then they had to pack up and go home. To see how emotional she was, it was tough seeing her cry on TV.”

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.