100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Government investing over $180K to improve accessibility in the NWT

Four organizations in the Northwest Territories have received $181,542 in funding through the Enabling Accessibility Fund (EAF), territorial MP Michael McLeod announced today.

The announcement was made today at the Calvary Community Church, which received $50,000 to make their facility more accessible with the installation of a ramp and automated door openers.

The three other recipients of EAF funding announced today are: the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Center, which received $50,000 towards installing automated accessible doors; the Hay River Metis Government Council, which received $50,000 for the installation of a wheelchair accessible sidewalk, door, and vestibule; and Our Lady of Victory Parish, which received $31,542 for the construction of a wheelchair ramp.

“Today’s announcement is another example of what the Government of Canada is doing to help Canadians of all abilities to fully participate in and contribute to their workplaces and communities,” says MP McLeod in a prepared statement.

“I want to thank all participating organizations in the Northwest Territories for applying for funding that will help to make our communities and workplaces more inclusive for all Northerners.”

Meaghan Richens
Meaghan Richens
News reporter. Got news tips? Email me at [email protected] or hit me up on Twitter https://twitter.com/MeaghanRichens?lang=en

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.