As summer approaches, the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is preparing for several highway and bridge construction projects across the North.
Over $46.4 million in improvements are planned for the 2018-19 summer season, on more than 200 kilometres of highway including three community access roads, and three bridges.
This work is funded by both the territorial and federal government, much of which was previously announced under the Government of Canada’s Provincial-Territorial Infrastructure Component – National and Regional Projects, and Small Communities Fund.
Construction of the 14 kilometre Canyon Creek Access Road will also continue this summer in the Sahtu Region.
This project represents another step towards replacing the existing Mackenzie Valley Winter Road with an all-weather highway.
During construction season, drivers are asked to take extra precaution.
Slowdown in construction zones, obey all signage and traffic control personnel and plan ahead for added driving time.
The upcoming projects are:
Canyon Creek Access Road
· Construction of a 14 km road from Norman Wells South to Canyon Creek.
· Embankment construction, culvert installation and crushing work will be completed by fall 2018.
· 76 kilometres of chipseal resurfacing.
· Embankment reconstruction and rehabilitation and drainage improvements between from km 207 to 212.
· 84 kilometres of chipseal resurfacing and rehabilitation.
· Drainage improvements at various locations.
· Embankment reconstruction, drainage improvements and culvert installations from km 49.6 to 51.1.
· 24 kilometres of chipseal resurfacing.
· Embankment reconstruction and drainage improvement from km 28 to 33.
· Chipseal resurfacing, repairs, and drainage improvements from km 137 to 153.
· Gravel surfacing from km 0 to 30.
· Culvert replacement at km 143 to 148.
· Brushing km 161 to 168.
· Repairs to the highway, compaction and surfacing gravel in required areas from km 21 to 46.
Inuvik Access Road
· Embankment widening, replacement of steel pipe culverts, and chipseal resurfacing from km 259.4 to 269 as well as Hospital Hill Drive and the Airport Access Road.
· This project will be complete by the fall of 2019.
Fort Simpson Access Road
· Chipseal resurfacing for all four kilometres.
Kakisa Access Road
· Chipseal resurfacing for all 12 kilometres.
Buffalo River Bridge
· Completion of bridge rehabilitation.
Hay River to Pine Point Bridge
· Bridge replacement project to start in October 2018.
Deh Cho Bridge
· Completion of the bridge approach embankment rehabilitation work.