100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

15-year old bone fragment finally identified

RCMP have confirmed the identity of remains discovered fifteen years ago.

According to the RCMP, Forensic DNA analysis confirmed that a bone fragment discovered near Yellowknife’s Con Mine belonged to Mary Rose Keadjuk.

Keadjuk had gone missing in 1990. She was last seen on June 28th of that year. She had been staying at the Gold Range Hotel when she went missing. Her personal belongings were left in her room, including a pair of eyeglasses.

In 2003, a bone fragment had been discovered near Con Mine. A further investigation of the area was conducted, but nothing had been found. The bone did not provide any DNA matches.

In the fifteen years that followed, the bone fragment had been sent in for two more examinations. The most recent exam proved the bone to belong to Mary Rose Keadjuk.

Via statement, Media Relations for the RCMP, Marie York-Condon, says Keadjuk’s family has been informed after this emotional discovery.

“Our members have informed the family of Mary Rose Keadjuk of the results of the examination and the match to Mary Rose. It is an emotional time, however, we are thankful that the improvements to technology allowed a sample to be matched and the identity confirmed by the NWT Chief Coroner.”

The investigation into Keadjuk’s disappearance continues.

If anyone has information on Mary Rose Keadjuk’s disappearance June 28, 1990 please contact “G” Division Major Crimes at 867-669-1111, through Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-TIPS, or through www.nwtnutips.com , (click on “submit a web tip”) or text: nwtnutips to 274637. Calls received through Crime Stoppers and NWT Tips are anonymous and a caller’s anonymity is guaranteed.

Cameron Wilkinson
Cameron Wilkinson
News Reporter

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.