As the winter season continues, the Northwest Territories RCMP are issuing a reminder to residents to keep sleds secure when not in use.
Police want to remind owners to take extra precautions to securely lock the snowmobiles, as well as keeping record of important information such as serial and VIN numbers.
The RCMP have offered a list of tips to help:
- Always lock your snowmobile and never leave a key in the ignition
- Lock your sled when transporting it on a trailer or in the back of a truck bed
- Disable your tow vehicle when not in use
- A heavy gauge chain placed around a fixed, immovable object and through the frame of the snowmobile may prevent it from being stolen
- Do not secure your snowmobile to any object that can be cut or broken
- Consider investment in anti-theft devices
Have fun this winter!