With the brisk temperature change, Yellowknife RCMP are reminding residents to not leave vehicles idling.
RCMP are asking vehicle owners to keep their keys or key fobs on them when allowing their vehicle to idle. They say it can take less than a minute for someone to get in a vehicle and drive off.
The Police have provided a list of reminders for citizens:
- Never leave a running vehicle unattended. If your keys must be in the ignition to warm it up, citizens should remain with their vehicle
- Install a remote starter if possible, however, always make sure the vehicle is locked
- Never leave children or pets unattended in a running vehicle
- Remove all valuables from the vehicle, (eg: loose change, mail, packages, GPS, garage door openers and cell phones)
- If your keys are stolen, immediately change the locks for the keys that have gone missing, including residences and vehicles
- Vehicles equipped with a keyless ignition can still be stolen if left running, even with the key fob removed from the vehicle
Enjoy the winter season!