100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

NWT expects 800+ new immigrants from revamped nominee program

More than 800 immigrants are expected to move to the Northwest Territories using its new-look nominee program.

The territorial government confirmed changes to the program, which were hinted at earlier in the month, on Thursday.

The nominee program fast-tracks applications from skilled foreign workers who can fill vacant jobs or bring business acumen to the North.

The government, which has a target of increasing the territory’s population by 2,000 over the next five years, admits it has underused the program in the past.

Employment minister Jackson Lafferty said changes to the program would make it easier for the NWT to attract new residents.

“I want to emphasize the importance of these initiatives to the territory,” Lafferty told MLAs at the legislature.

“A growing, vibrant economy needs workers and, with our abundant natural resources, there are jobs emerging all the time without people to fill them.”

Read: Jackson Lafferty’s statement in full

There are four types of immigration under the nominee program – two are for self-employed professionals and entrepreneurs, two are for employers who need to fill vacant posts.

Lafferty believes those four routes should, together, result in more than 800 new residents for the territory by 2018.

In 2014, figures for the latter two streams show 48 applicants – and 62 of their dependants – were welcomed to the NWT, adding 110 people to the population.

Lafferty wants that figure to grow by 25% year-on-year until 2018.

A key component of the revamped nominee program is an “express entry” system designed to speed up the process for some skilled immigrants.

Read: More details on express entry from the federal government

Express entry is a federal scheme, adopted by the NWT, which the territory says will increase the nominee program’s capacity from 150 to 250 candidates.

According to the GNWT, the new-look program also makes a host of minor changes to provide easier access to information, both for the territory’s employers and foreign applicants.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.