2017-2018 NWT budget approved, MLAs continue to criticize

It was a grueling task, but finally the 2017-2018 budget was approved with a vote of 16 for and two against Monday night.

RELATED: $4.8M in adjustments added to 2017-2018 budget

RELATED: Funds for junior kindergarten, 911 included in NWT budget

All cabinet ministers and most regular MLAs voted in favour of the budget, with only Nahendeh MLA Shane Thompson and Frame Lake MLA Kevin O’Reilly putting their foots down.

Regular members had previously taken a united stance against the budget, a resistance cabinet minister Glen Abernethy said he’d never seen in his 10 years as an MLA.

But with the recent $4.8 million in additions to the budget on Friday, a majority of MLAs seemed content with its new direction.

The additions included $2.5 million for homecare, a half-million dollar boost to the Anti-Poverty Fund and $500,000 for a Youth in Crisis program.

It also included the restoration of funds for Aurora College’s teacher education and social work programs until a fundamental review of the college can be completed this year.

No ‘true negotiations’

MLA Shane Thompson.

But even with the additions, Thompson expressed his discontent with the approach this budget took.

“Regular members have done a lot of hard work in negotiating hard with cabinet to improve this budget, and it has definitely improved since the business plans we first saw last fall,” Thompson said.

“But in the end, this budget fails because it was so focused on cuts to spending without thinking enough about the impacts.

“Cutting jobs in communities and deep reductions to Aurora College will not bring savings in the long run. This approach does not serve my region, and I don’t think it serves the Northwest Territories well either.”

RELATED: Yellowknifers protest cuts to Aurora College programs

O’Reilly agreed, criticizing the lack of in-person negotiations between regular MLAs and cabinet, saying there were no ‘true negotiations’ during the process.

MLA Kevin O’Reilly.

“Cabinet needs to be open to a more collaborative process with real negotiations done face-to-face rather than written ultimatums,” O’Reilly said.

“Even with these changes, there are significant cuts in terms of the environment, our education system, and economic diversification.

“The overall direction from cabinets’ fiscal reduction strategy of cutting jobs, programs and services to fund infrastructure continues unabated. I cannot support this direction or that vision of the Northwest Territories.”

O’Reilly also criticized the cut of 75 jobs in the territory that would come with the discontinuation of programs and services through the budget, warning that it would lead to less money going into the local economy.

He also said consensus government didn’t work during the budget process.

“How can we all avoid this painful process next time around?” he asked.

“There needs to be earlier, meaningful consultations with regular MLAs about the overall fiscal direction and context of the budget, even before the development and review of the business plans or departmental budgets.”

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

“Bears are back!” (again)

With bears in the territory awakening from hibernation, the department of the Environment warn bears are “active” in the NWT and urge folks to take steps to keep a distance and keep safe. The N.W.T. is known as “bear country’ and home to black, grizzly and polar bears. While bears generally avoid contact with people, encounters happen.

Fort Providence RCMP charge suspect following search warrant

Fort Providence RCMP says they have arrested and charged a suspect with drug charges following the execution of a search warrant.

Road work to be conducted in Yellowknife over the next two weeks

The City of Yellowknife has retained the services of Stantec Consulting Ltd. to carry out geotechnical investigations in several areas of the city, in perpetration for upcoming Sewer & Water and paving improvements.

NWT responds to PM’s new power strategy

In a media release issued Thursday naming the Taltson expansion, the federal government emphasized the importance of the energy supply in building an “affordable, competitive and sustainable” economy. In response, Northern energy experts agree an expanded countrywide clean electric grid is vital but ask who benefits when the multibillion dollar proposed Taltson expansion won’t reach the communities that need it most.

Major Project Review Tool and Regional Database launched by Mackenzie Review Board

The Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board just launched a new online Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool. The board said the new tools will help make way for more “timely, coordinated and evidence-based” decisions on major projects in the Slave Geological Province within the NWT.