10 original short films won Zombears during the fifth annual Dead North Film Festival in Yellowknife this weekend.
RELATED: Record number of films to debut during 2017 Dead North Film Festival
The 2017 installment was the largest to date, featuring 35 films.
The Yellowknife-based festival is open primarily to the circumpolar world and has seen over 80 films submitted since its inception.
Dead North challenges filmmakers to make short films (10 minutes or less) in the horror, science fiction or fantasy genre in the dead of winter.
Filmmakers from across the Northwest Territories and Yukon submitted entries for this year’s festival.
To accommodate the record number of entries, the 2017 festival included a Thursday night screening and two Sunday screenings at Yellowknife’s Capitol Theatre.
The festival also featured a number of public workshops over the weekend teaching everything from special effects to financial advice.
Echoes in the Ice, Max’s Multiplex win big
BJ Verot’s Echoes in the Ice took home the most awards Saturday night, including a Zombear for best trailer, best visual effects, best sound and best director.
Greg McLaughlin and Andrew Seymour’s Max’s Multiplex won Zombears in the category of best original score, best actor and best film.
A combination of eight other films won the remaining 10 Zombears.
Below is a full list of winners as selected by the festival’s judges:
- Best Line of Dialogue: Martin J. Rehak for sssssSpace Hat
- Best Point of View Shot: Jen and Adrienne for Eva
- Best Poster: Keith Robertson for BAIT!
- Best Trailer: Brad Crawford for Echoes in the Ice
- Best Visual Effects: Andrew Degryse for Echoes in the Ice
- Best Practical Effects: Chantal Dubuc for Heartbound
- Best Death: Matt Voytilla and John Falcon versus The Scavenger Hunter
- Best Original Score: Greg McLaughlin for Max’s Multiplex
- Best Sound: Steven Webb for Echoes in the Ice
- Best Actor: Gregory Patrick McLaughlin for Max’s Multiplex
- Best Actress: Tiffany Ayalik for Little Man
- Best Cinematography: Marc Winkler for Best Buds
- Best Editing: Ollie Williams for Eva
- Best Screenplay: Blair Douglas for Through the Willows
- Best Director: BJ Verot for Echoes in the Ice
- Best Film: Max’s Multiplex, Andrew Seymour and Greg McLaughlin
- Audience Favourite: Little Man directed by Kayley Inuksuk Mackay
You can watch films previously submitted for the Dead North Film Festival here.