Listen Live
HomeNewsChristmas break to start early for Range Lake North students

Christmas break to start early for Range Lake North students

Christmas vacation will start a couple days early for students and staff of Yellowknife’s Range Lake North School as the school grieves the loss of a former teacher and student.

Marilyn Morrison, former teacher at Range Lake North.

Metro Huculak, superintendent of Yellowknife Education District No. 1, informed parents of the decision Wednesday.

He’s encouraging parents to keep their children at home next Monday and Tuesday to give them time to mourn the loss of former teacher Marilyn Morrison and former student Ava Lizotte.

That means Christmas break will officially begin on Dec. 17.

- Advertisement -

“Over the last two months, staff and students of Range Lake North School have come under considerable duress due to the sudden passing of a teacher and a Grade 6 student,” said Huculak.

Former Range Lake North student Ava Lizotte.

“It is my opinion staff need some quiet time and support from grief counsellors and students are ready for vacation due to these unfortunate circumstances.

“As a district, the mental health of our staff and students is important. Your children will not be marked absent for those days, they will just get two extra vacation days.”

For parents worried about arranging childcare, Huculak says additional staff will be called in to offer ‘activity days’ on Monday and Tuesday.

“I will work with the City of Yellowknife to see what venues we can use during these two days,” he said.

- Advertisement -

“A list of activities for Monday and Tuesday will come out to you on Friday.”

Parents are encouraged to call the school if they plan on sending their children to class so that Yk1 can plan activities accordingly.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

All