100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

First Air to terminate codeshare agreement with Canadian North

First Air has notified Canadian North that it will terminate their codeshare relationship effective May 16, 2017.

“The codeshare achieved the efficiencies and schedule improvements that First Air had hoped for,” said Brock Friesen, president and CEO of First Air.

“However our customers have told us that they strongly prefer to fly First Air on its own.”

RELATED: First Air, Canadian North change schedule for Northern route

The notice period provided by First Air is consistent with the agreement between the two airlines.

Earlier this month, First Air announced that all six of its recently purchased ATR42-500s will be in service by early-2017, bringing its fleet to a total of 13.

“First Air now has ample fleet to provide a robust schedule in both the Eastern and Western Arctic,” added Friesen.

Customers holding reservations beyond May 16 will automatically be re-confirmed on a new flight if their flight schedule has changed.

The codeshare agreement between the two airlines was first announced in May 2015, and came into effect three months later in August.

The practice of codesharing allows airlines to combine flights and reduce operating costs without merging.

Around the time the agreement was announced, both airlines called Canada’s North one of the most challenging geographical and economic environments anywhere in the world.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.