2016 wildfire season has cost the GNWT almost $30M, says minister

The 2016 wildfire season was a relatively tame one in the Northwest Territories compared to the last two years.

But that doesn’t mean it’s come cheap.

By Tuesday, the territorial government had spent $29,990,575 in pre-suppression and suppression costs this year – and that number could still go up.

Environment and Natural Resources Minister Robert C. McLeod says there are a few outstanding settlements to be completed in a number of NWT communities.

Once those are done, the department could end up spending much more.

But even if that’s the case, McLeod says the territory will be ‘much better off’ than it was in the previous two years when NWT residents experienced historically bad wildfire seasons.

Putting the 2016 wildfire season into context

On Tuesday, McLeod told MLAs the territory experienced a ‘below-average’ fire season in 2016 when 188 wildland fires burned an estimated 229,000 hectares of land.

That compares to 241 fires affecting 622,000 hectares in 2015, and 385 fires burning a massive 3.4 million hectares of land in 2014.

According to ENR, those seasons cost the territorial government an estimated $33 million and $56 million respectively.

In 2016, 44 per cent of all fires reported in the Northwest Territories received some type of action. McLeod says an extra 292 firefighters were hired to help fight some of those fires.

While the wildfire season got off to a slow start in the NWT, a number of significant fires were reported – including one near Reid Lake and another near the Snare hydro system.

McLeod’s department will try to take lessons from the season that was and hold a series of public meetings over the winter to better prepare for next year.

He’s also hoping for a little luck from Mother Nature over the next few months.

“Forecasters are predicting an early, colder-than-normal winter with an average snowfall,” he said Tuesday. “It is our hope that this provides plenty of snow cover for the spring melt and increases our water levels.

“It is important to note that while the 2016 fire season was relatively normal, there continue to be areas of extreme drought.”

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Fort Simpson police ask for assistance in shooting investigation

Fort Simpson RCMP are asking for assistance from the public in relation to their ongoing investigation into a shooting last week.

$55 million contract awarded for housing development on 54th Avenue

Housing NWT has announced that a construction contract for a 64-unit housing development in Yellowknife has been awarded to PCL Construction.

Norman Wells RCMP respond to reports of bootlegging activity

One suspect has been charged by Norman Wells RCMP following their response to reports of bootlegging activity within the community.

Housing NWT launches new Technical Team pilot project

Housing NWT has announced their new Technical Team pilot project in the Beaufort Delta, Sahtu, and Nahendeh districts to improve the delivery of repairs and provide preventative maintenance.

U.S. delays Canadian tariffs three days as Trump claims trade deal

The United States postponed planned 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days as U.S. President Donald Trump said the two countries had reached a trade deal.