Yellowknife MLA: GNWT ‘delaying progress’ by not rolling out 911

The MLA for Frame Lake still wants to know why 911 hasn’t been rolled out across the Northwest Territories.

On Tuesday, Kevin O’Reilly asked cabinet if it was still committed to implementing the service or at the very least, changing an automated message that doesn’t tell residents which number to call in the event of an emergency.

RELATED: Supreme Court of Canada dismisses Bell’s 911 challenge

Currently, when people in the territory call 911 – a service that doesn’t exist – they’ll hear a message telling them where to direct their call instead of a message providing them with emergency numbers.

O’Reilly first brought up the issue during a June session.

At the time, the minister of Municipal and Community Affairs committed to rolling out a phased-in approach of the service and finding out if Northwestel could change the automated message.

Four months later, O’Reilly says the government is delaying real progress by having not done either.

Caroline Cochrane, minister of Municipal and Community Affairs.
Caroline Cochrane, minister of Municipal and Community Affairs.

“What we have here is how the $150 million reduction target has hamstrung cabinet in introducing the most basic new service designed to protect lives and public safety that now exists in every other part of this country except Nunavut,” he said.

Municipal and Community Affairs Minister Caroline Cochrane responded to O’Reilly’s concerns Tuesday, saying her department has met with both Northwestel and the federal government to discuss the issue.

“We have met with the federal government, a couple of times actually,” she told MLAs. “We’ve been asking them to consider our request for 911 under public safety and under future investments in infrastructure funding.

“We have really put forward the case that 911 is an issue within the territories.”

However, don’t expect the automated message you hear when you dial 911 to change anytime soon.

“Northwestel is not willing at this time to change it,” added Cochrane. “They say it’s due to technical and liability concerns.

“They’ve also talked that it would require a technical upgrade and they’re concerned that it may jeopardize the current message should a new approach prove not successful.”

That being said however, Cochrane says her department is working with cell providers about improving the message on cellular devices.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund split into separate funding streams

The Government of the Northwest Territories has announced that the Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund will now be split into three distinct funding streams.

Ministers congratulate new Major Project Review Tool

Ministers Jay Macdonald, Caitlin Cleveland, and Caroline Wawzonek have released a statement following the launch of the Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board’s new Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool last week.

Tests at Łutsel K’e Dene School show safe drinking water

Water testing for the Łutsel K’e Dene School has been completed, showing lead levels below the maximum acceptable level in all water fixtures.

Northern Distance Learning Program plans to expand in upcoming school year

The Northwest Territories’ Northern Distance Learning Program has undergone an evaluation to help guide improvements to the program, improving student access to virtual high school programming.

Yellowknife Kidney Walk to be held this weekend

The Kidney Foundation of Canada will be holding the annual Yellowknife Kidney walk this Sunday, May 24.