100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Appeal to delay demolition of Robertson headframe canned

An appeal to delay the demolition of the Robertson headframe at the former Con Mine site has been dismissed.

The appeal, which was filed by local mining advocate Walt Humphries, was thrown out by Yellowknife’s development appeal board this week.

RELATED: Iconic Robertson headframe will not be saved by GNWT

Miramar Northern Mining, the company that is remediating the now-defunct gold mine, says it plans to proceed with demolition as soon as possible.

Humphries filed an appeal of the company’s permit to demolish the structure last month – mere days before Miramar had planned to start tearing it down.

He hoped to delay its demolition even though Miramar insisted it needed to move forward with remediation.

“It’s disappointing but it’s not unexpected,” Humphries told Moose FM following the decision.

“The way the rules are you have to prove you’re more aggrieved than other people. They sort of stack the rules in the favour of the developer that way.”

Yellowknife’s development appeal board had up to 60 days to deliver a decision following last Thursday’s appeal hearing, but managed to come up with one in less than a week.

In the last year and half, both the city and territorial government have called off talks with Miramar to keep the headframe standing – something Humphries calls sad.

“At several points the city or the GNWT could’ve saved it and they chose not to and I find that kind of sad.

“It’s going to change things forever in Yellowknife. It’s a headframe but it’s also a landmark and to me destroying landmarks is just wrong.”

Headframe to come down this year

Scott Stringer, general manager of Miramar’s Con Mine site, says his company plans to proceed with demolition in the very near future.

“We plan to re-engage with our contractors to move forward on the project as quickly as possible,” he told Moose FM in an email.

“Given that the colder winter weather is coming it will be necessary for us to continue to adjust our plans, but all things considered, we still anticipate the headframe to come down this year.

“The cleanup of the debris and scrap will continue through to completion.”

 

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.