100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

GNWT department merger could come with job cuts, says minister

The merging of two GNWT departments would likely lead to job cuts, says cabinet minister Wally Schumann.

Last week, the territorial government unveiled a proposal that would see the departments of transportation and public works merge to form a single department of infrastructure.

RELATED: Departments of transportation and public works to merge?

In a statement, the government said it’s working on ‘organizational restructuring’ proposals as part of its ongoing efforts to ensure it remains on a fiscally sustainable path.

While the proposals have been reflected in draft business plans that have been shared with legislative committees, the earliest any merger could take effect is April.

“We took a proactive approach to our fiscal responsibility and felt that this was one of the initiatives that we needed to do to get our revenues and expenditures in line,” Schumann told Moose FM.

Asked if a merger would lead to any cuts, Schumann didn’t rule anything out – admitting there are redundancies across departments.

“We don’t know that yet,” Schumann said of how many cuts there might be.

“We’re still doing our analysis on all this and how we’re going to put these two departments together. But there are a lot of similarities between the departments.”

Together, the two departments employ over 600 people.

Employees who would be impacted by any potential changes have already been notified of the proposal. Should there be any cuts, Schumann is hopeful they’d be kept to a minimum.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls on leaders to prevent unregulated weapons exports

Amid the extreme cold wild chill temperatures of -50 degrees Celsius, a local activist group held a rally today outside of Minister MP Rebecca Alty’s office in Yellowknife, calling leaders to back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons. The group called on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S.

65 year old in custody after alleged robbery at Dollarama in Yellowknife

A 65 year old suspect remains in custody after police received a report of an armed robbery yesterday at Dollarama in Yellowknife. On Feb. 16 Yellowknife RCMP received a report that a suspect had allegedly “pulled a knife” on staff reportedly fleeing on foot with a “quantity” of merchandise from the store.

Yellowknife RCMP take youth suspect into custody after firearms complaint

Yellowknife RCMP have taken a youth suspect into custody following a firearms complaint.

New program hopes to assist youth in crisis in Yellowknife

Home Base Yellowknife, Yellowknife Education District No. 1, Yellowknife Catholic Schools, and the Government of the Northwest Territories are collaborating on the Home Base Stabilization Education Program (STEP).

A 13 year old Indigenous youth is missing from Behchokǫ̀

A 13 year old Indigenous youth who was last seen leaving his home in Behchokǫ̀ at 4 pm yesterday is missing. Police are asking the public for information to help locate him.