100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Ekati processing plant resumes operations following June fire

The processing plant at the Ekati diamond mine resumed operations Wednesday, three months after a fire resulted in a major slowdown.

The plant had been offline since June 23 when a fire broke out during a planned outage.

RELATED: Fire repairs at Ekati mean temporary layoffs for staff

Shortly after the incident, Dominion Diamond Corporation said repairs would take approximately three months at a cost of $25 million.

On Thursday, the company announced that repair costs came in below original estimates – just shy of $20 million.

While the plant was offline, Dominion “implemented an active management strategy designed to mitigate the impact of the fire on production and cash flow,” read a statement issued by the company.

That meant reducing operating costs by deferring mining activities at the Lynx and Pigeon open pits while continuing to mine and stockpile higher value ore from the Misery Main open pit and Koala underground.

The company also issued temporary layoffs notices to some 300 workers but started bringing staff back earlier this month.

By the time plant operations resumed this week, Dominion says it had stockpiled 750,000 tonnes of high grade ore.

‘Exceptional’ stone sells for $3.7 million Canadian

Dominion also announced Thursday that the largest diamond ever found at Ekati recently sold for $3.7 million Canadian.

The 186 carat diamond was sold in September after being recovered in June.

“The Ekati mine is world-renowned for its premium gem quality diamonds,” said CEO Brendan Bell in a statement.

“The recovery of a gem quality stone of this size is a reminder that there continues to be upside potential to the modelled prices used for our Ekati ore bodies.”

This 186 carat gem was found in Ekati’s Pigeon kimberlite back in June.
This 186 carat gem was found in Ekati’s Pigeon kimberlite back in June.
Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls on leaders to prevent unregulated weapons exports

Amid the extreme cold wild chill temperatures of -50 degrees Celsius, a local activist group held a rally today outside of Minister MP Rebecca Alty’s office in Yellowknife, calling leaders to back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons. The group called on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S.

65 year old in custody after alleged robbery at Dollarama in Yellowknife

A 65 year old suspect remains in custody after police received a report of an armed robbery yesterday at Dollarama in Yellowknife. On Feb. 16 Yellowknife RCMP received a report that a suspect had allegedly “pulled a knife” on staff reportedly fleeing on foot with a “quantity” of merchandise from the store.

Yellowknife RCMP take youth suspect into custody after firearms complaint

Yellowknife RCMP have taken a youth suspect into custody following a firearms complaint.

New program hopes to assist youth in crisis in Yellowknife

Home Base Yellowknife, Yellowknife Education District No. 1, Yellowknife Catholic Schools, and the Government of the Northwest Territories are collaborating on the Home Base Stabilization Education Program (STEP).

A 13 year old Indigenous youth is missing from Behchokǫ̀

A 13 year old Indigenous youth who was last seen leaving his home in Behchokǫ̀ at 4 pm yesterday is missing. Police are asking the public for information to help locate him.