Dominion to begin rehiring today following fire at Ekati

The Dominion Diamond Corporation says it will begin rehiring employees and contractors at its Ekati mine, following a fire in June that forced roughly 330 workers to be laid off.   

The workers were temporarily laid off while the company made repairs to the mine’s processing plant, which sustained significant damage in a fire on June 23.

RELATED: Gahcho Kué mine to officially open.

Dominion says the move was to bring down costs while the repairs were carried out, but late last week a press release on behalf of CEO Brendan Bell said the plant should be back up and running within a month.

…”Dominion Diamond Corporation is pleased to report that the repairs to the process plant following the fire that occurred on June 23, 2016 are proceeding well, and the company continues to expect that processing in the plant can resume by the end of September 2016,” read the statement.

All told, the repairs will likely cost $25 million, the company said in July.

Greg Hanna
Greg Hanna
On-Call Host & News Reporter

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Expanded environmental assessment proposed for Mackenzie Valley Highway

The Government of the Northwest Territories is moving to expand the scope of environmental assessment for the Mackenzie Valley Highway to include the corridor from Norman Wells to a connection with the Dempster Highway.

Taltson Hydro Plant maintenance shutdown started early

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation has announced that the annual summer maintenance shutdown of the Taltson Hydro Plant has been moved forward to begin on August 16 and is scheduled to last until August 27.

South Slave fire reignited by ongoing drought

Warm and dry conditions in parts of the territory have contributed to drying fuels, allowing new wildfires to form more easily or reignite after being initially contained.

Consensus reached on the proposed route for the AESC

The Yellowknives Dene First Nation and the Tłı̨chǫ Government have announced that they have reached a consensus on the proposed corridor for the Arctic Economic and Security Corridor, an all-season road that will connect the NWT to the Nunavut border.

Fish for Sale exhibit going on tour of the North and South Slave

Fish for Sale: A History of Commercial Fishing on Great Slave Lake, a feature exhibit at the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre will be travelling to several communities in the North and South Slave.