NWT Pride focused on creating ‘safe space’ after Folk assaults

NWT Pride says it’s more prepared than ever to address any reports of sexual assault should they arise during this year’s festival in Yellowknife.

This comes after at least four separate incidents were reported to police and staff during Folk on the Rocks two weekends ago.

Read: ‘It made my cry’, Pride president says of new rainbow crosswalks

The fifth annual NWT Pride festival kicks off on August 4 with Queerlesque at the Raven.

The weekend will also feature educational workshops, a concert and barbeque at Somba K’e Civic Plaza and a music festival at the Folk on the Rocks site.

Iman Kassam, a board member with NWT Pride, told Moose FM recent reports of sexual assault in the city have hit close to home for her.

“I saw one of them and heard about three [sexual assaults at Folk],” she said. “Five of my queer female friends had been assaulted at Folk and those are just the friends I have and the women that I know.

“It really hit me and shocked me, especially after talking with all these women in my life.”

Following Folk, Kassam says Pride board members came together to discuss ways of making this year’s festival safer than ever. She told us the first step to making a sexual assault victim feel safe is to listen to them.

“If someone comes to you and tells you they were assaulted, first and foremost believe them,” she said. “Never question them. You have to know that violence can happen anywhere.”

Kassam says significant efforts have been made to increase signage for ‘safe spots’ at the Folk on the Rocks site along Long Lake.

Volunteers and emcees will also receive training on how to be more visible during the festival and how to deal with a sexual assault complaint should it arise.

“We’re going to have signs that flat out say NWT Pride is a safer space. That means no racism, no discrimination, no violence and anyone breaching this will be asked to leave the festival.”

While Kassam acknowledges no serious incidents have been reported during the past four festivals, she says violence can happen anywhere and that it’s important for people to know how to respond to victims.

“We’re taking this very seriously,” she said. “What happened at Folk, we don’t want that ever happening again – not at Folk, Pride or any other festival in Yellowknife.

“This is something very manageable for us to do.”

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

“Bears are back!” (again)

With bears in the territory awakening from hibernation, the department of the Environment warn bears are “active” in the NWT and urge folks to take steps to keep a distance and keep safe. The N.W.T. is known as “bear country’ and home to black, grizzly and polar bears. While bears generally avoid contact with people, encounters happen.

Fort Providence RCMP charge suspect following search warrant

Fort Providence RCMP says they have arrested and charged a suspect with drug charges following the execution of a search warrant.

Road work to be conducted in Yellowknife over the next two weeks

The City of Yellowknife has retained the services of Stantec Consulting Ltd. to carry out geotechnical investigations in several areas of the city, in perpetration for upcoming Sewer & Water and paving improvements.

NWT responds to PM’s new power strategy

In a media release issued Thursday naming the Taltson expansion, the federal government emphasized the importance of the energy supply in building an “affordable, competitive and sustainable” economy. In response, Northern energy experts agree an expanded countrywide clean electric grid is vital but ask who benefits when the multibillion dollar proposed Taltson expansion won’t reach the communities that need it most.

Major Project Review Tool and Regional Database launched by Mackenzie Review Board

The Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board just launched a new online Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool. The board said the new tools will help make way for more “timely, coordinated and evidence-based” decisions on major projects in the Slave Geological Province within the NWT.