100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

PHOTOS: Lenny Burger to open by August, owner says

After saying good-bye to KFC more than 10 months ago, Lenny Burger is set to open its doors to the public.

The takeout counter is expected to open by August, with the dining and bar area to open in the fall.

Previous plans would’ve had the establishment open in December of last year, but the opening was delayed by financial challenges.

“We hit a snag with funding and obviously you can’t do anything without money,” said Matthew Jason, the owner of Lenny Burger.

Jason says much of the re-construction has been finished indoors, with the takeout side already finished.

“The bar and restaurant side is nearly complete,” Jason said. “Pretty soon we’re going to bring people in for taste testing.”

The KFC building was so old, Jason says, that he needed to replace things like the electrical wiring in addition to the look and feel.

A patio is also planned for the front parking lot area.

Jason and his sister shut down the former KFC after it operated for 50 years. They felt KFC was heading in a direction they could not support.

For Yellowknifers who long for the fried chicken of Kentucky, don’t worry. Lenny Burger is preparing a recipe of its own.

“We’re still doing chicken. We actually found a new supplier for our breading – ironically from Kentucky,” Jason said. “Everyone that’s tried it has been over the moon about it.”

The restaurant will also feature other items, such as burgers and poutine, as well as some other specialties.

“We’re going to have some rabbit dishes, which is pretty rare for around here,” Jason said.

The takeout counter.
The takeout counter.
The dining and bar area.
The dining and bar area.

IMG_1427

 

Out with the old, in with the new.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Greg Hanna
Greg Hanna
On-Call Host & News Reporter

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.