14.2 C
Friday, September 23, 2022
HomeNewsYellowknife NewsNiven, Kam Lake house fires in Yellowknife deemed accidental

Niven, Kam Lake house fires in Yellowknife deemed accidental

At least two recent house fires in Yellowknife were accidental, Moose FM has learned. 

The fire at 144 Moyle Drive in Niven Lake on June 23 was caused by hot roofing.

“The fire was likely caused as a result of hot roofing operations that were being performed just before the fire was reported,” said Chucker Dewar, fire marshal for the NWT. “It’s not suspicious in nature.”

While fire damage was limited to the roof and third floor, the home sustained smoke and water damage throughout.

- Advertisement -

Friday’s fire at 124 Enterprise Drive in Kam Lake has also been deemed accidental after an outdoor ashtray caught fire.

“It appears to be a result of the contents of a cigarette butt can on the upper deck,” Dewar said. “A propane tank in close proximity contributed to the rapid fire growth.”

Meanwhile, the fire at 3185 Bretzlaff Drive in Old Town on June 21 remains under investigation. The fire is not considered suspicious.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading