100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

NWT finance minister McLeod to deliver first budget Wednesday

Territorial finance minister Robert C. McLeod will unveil his first budget in the NWT legislature Wednesday afternoon.

The territory’s gloomy economic outlook will likely dominate discussion in the chamber over the next five weeks.

Members will review and debate the 2016/2017 budget in much greater detail and raise any potential concerns they may have until the session comes to a close on June 29.

Just last week, 58 people working for the Government of the Northwest Territories were informed their jobs could be in jeopardy in the near future.

Questions surrounding any additional program cuts or department mergers are also expected to be answered in the coming days.

“During this sitting, we will have to decide what we can afford to spend and what we should spend it on,” Premier Bob McLeod told MLAs as he welcomed them to their spring sitting Tuesday.

“We will have to consider the current fiscal situation and the future prospects for economic growth when our revenue sources are limited and our economy is still in poorer shape than it was before the 2008 global recession.

“While this is serious, it is not cause for alarm. It is the kind of situation governments face all the time and simply requires us to make prudent, responsible decisions.

“This is not austerity … this is simply what responsible governments do to make sure they can continue to afford the programs and services the public needs by trimming and redirecting spending to keep it in line with revenues.”

In February, senior finance officials announced the government is projecting marginal surpluses for the next three years followed by consecutive deficits.

To address the projected gap between future revenues and expenditures, the government needs to come up with $150 million in combined revenue and expenditure measures over the next five years.

Finance minister McLeod announced a first step in the form of a two-year salary freeze for some of the government’s top earners starting in 2016-2017.

We’ll provide a full breakdown of the McLeod’s budget presentation Wednesday afternoon.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.