NWT fire season “quite quiet” so far but drier conditions coming

There are no fires to fight in the Northwest Territories right now in what has been an unusually slow start to the territory’s wildfire season.

Richard Olsen, fire operations manager with the territorial government’s Department of Environment and Natural Resources, told reporters Monday that only two fires have been reported in the territory so far this year.

This time last year: NWT fire bans, road closure highlight start of fire season

The first broke out just 25 kilometers northeast of Yellowknife on May 14 but was declared ‘under control’ a couple days later.

The most recent one was reported on Saturday near Kakisa but was also extinguished shortly thereafter. It’s believed that both fires were caused by people.

In total, eight hectares of land have burned this season – a fraction of what had burned by this time last year.

According to Olsen, the territory’s 20-year-average is “six fires and a little over 2,000 hectares burned for this time of year.”

In the last two seasons, over 40 fires would have been reported by this point, burning over 6,000 hectares of land.

Read: Ground conditions dry in Yellowknife as fire season begins

Olsen says this season has been “quite quiet” so far but conditions are expected to dry up in the coming days, which could present a number of challenges.

“As we move into June, we expect that traditional drying and fire risk will increase as time goes on,” he said.

“One of the biggest things that we deal with for the fire season are those early season starts that escape initial attack in areas that are quite dry and require extended resources over a several-week period.”

At the beginning of the month, Olsen said ground conditions were especially dry between Yellowknife and Fort Liard.

“It’ll still take a substantial amount of rain to put the ground and water tables back to what we would consider normal,” he said.

“As a result, fires are going to burn deep and be a little more difficult to put out in those areas.

“We still are looking at being quite vigilant this spring in terms of assessing the risk and making sure that we man-up sufficiently so that we can try to get these potentially problem fires dealt with before they become an issue.”

Olsen says the relatively slow start to the season has allowed crews to complete necessary training without rushing into a busy season. It’s also allowed firefighters to travel south to Alberta to assist with efforts there.

The territory’s fire crews are expected to reach full strength by next week when a final crew based in Tsiigehtchic becomes available.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Water levels “above average” on Mackenzie at Aklavik as ice-break up underway

Environmental scientists with the territory’s Environment and Climate Change department said that ice break-up along the Peel River is “near complete.” Data collected as of this morning showed that ice break up continues along the Mackenzie Delta, with water levels "above average" in Aklavik.

New program formally integrates wildland and structural firefighting

The territorial government and the Northwest Territories Fire Chiefs Association have just unveiled a new program that formally integrates N.W.T. wildfire and community emergency response. While the Wildland Urban Interface program is aimed at responding to a need for “stronger integration” between wildland and structural firefighting during wildfire threats, some responsibilities remain delegated to the municipal level.

No word yet on what caused Taltson’s newly repaired surge tank to leak

It will be “several” more days before more is known about a reported leak at the Taltson Station’s surge tank. South Slave hydro customers were transfered to diesel fuel this weekend as N.W.T.’s Power Corporation inspects the Talston surge tank, after some water was observed leaking from the tank.

GNWT alerts Canvas users of security breach

The Government of the Northwest Territories is notifying users of the Canvas learning management platform of a security incident involving Canvas’ parent company, Instructure.

NTPC warns of potential short outages in Inuvik

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation is warning residents of Inuvik that during planned work on the local power plant the community may experience short intermittent power outages.