100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Councillors nix temporary worker camp in Kam Lake area

Yellowknife city councillors have shot down the idea of a temporary work camp in the Kam Lake area meant to house people working on the new Stanton Territorial Hospital.

The proposal was put forward by Clark Builders and Bird Construction, the two companies that have been tasked with building the $300-million facility.

The plan was to build temporary dwellings for as many as 250 people in a lot next to Yellowknife’s correctional centre and the Hall Crescent residential development.

Read: Units At New Stanton Hospital To Feature ‘Significant’ Upgrades

Dave Brothers, vice president of northern operations with Clark Builders, told councillors Tuesday that general contractors had explored all other options for housing workers.

The proposal was officially presented to council on Tuesday afternoon and voted down in the evening with councillors Adrian Bell, Julian Morse, Rommel Silverio and Shauna Morgan opposed.

A number of Hall Crescent residents also spoke against the proposal Tuesday, citing noise, safety and congestion as concerns.

They also claimed to have been caught off guard by the proposal, only finding out about it last week in the form of letters and emails.

Adrian Bell was one of four councillors who voted against the idea. He feared it’s approval would’ve set a dangerous precedent.

“Clark Builders has been an amazing contributor in our community,” he said. “There’s no denying that.

“They’ve been a very responsible corporate citizen but I can’t think of any possible way to minimize the potential economic spinoff benefits to our community than by approving a temporary work camp.

“We’ve seen far too often people moving their offices outside of town, finding ways to fly over and senior levels of government haven’t been able to do anything about it.”

‘This would be a terrible, terrible thing’

Residents, business owners and councillors alike appeared to be caught off guard by news of the proposal last week.

Shortly after letters and emails were circulated, resident Aaron Reid started canvassing the neighbourhood to see how other people in the area felt about the idea.

Within a day, he says 83 people signed on to a petition.

“A lot of people that moved into our development moved there knowing full well that there was a correctional facility right next to us on one side and on the other side, a business/commercial district,” he said.

“It’s actually one of the most peaceful, quiet and family-friendly areas a small family can move into. This would be a terrible, terrible thing to put a temporary work camp with up to 250 people right next to us.

“There’s not one person I talked to in our neighbourhood who thought that was even remotely a good idea.”

What happens now?

From the onset of the public-private (P3) mega-project, contractors have insisted they’ll bring on as many local workers as possible.

But now there’s some concern about how out-of-town workers will be accommodated. Brothers didn’t mince words Tuesday, saying the hospital project would be ‘devastated’ if a worker camp can’t be erected.

“We’re going to hire as many local people as possible,” he said. “These people we’re putting into these facilities will be over and above what’s available here in town.

“If we couldn’t put this in place, the project would probably be devastated. We have to have a facility that will house that many people for the duration of the project.”

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.