Person who reported Fitzgerald Carpeting fire called 911 in error

The person who reported the fire that destroyed Fitzgerald Carpeting on Sunday night first called 911 in error before driving to the fire hall in person.

That’s according to the City of Yellowknife, which released more information about the fire Monday afternoon.

City officials say firefighters first became aware of the blaze at 304 Woolgar Avenue around 10:00pm.

Read: Supreme Court of Canada Dismisses Bell’s 911 Challenge

After someone used a fire extinguisher on the flames, they dialed 911 – a service the NWT doesn’t have – before driving to the fire hall to alert first responders in person.

By the time firefighters arrived at the scene, heavy black smoke was already pouring out of the building.

Fire crews began an initial attack, but were forced to retreat from the building and begin an exterior attack once flames breached the roof.

“The local fire department chose to take a defensive posture with this fire due to the advanced stage of it upon their arrival,” said Chucker Dewar, fire marshal for the Northwest Territories.

“There was a lot of combustibles, a lot of textiles, carpets, glues and adhesives.

“The defensive posture that they took protected the neighbouring structures and thankfully neighbouring buildings didn’t receive any damage as a result of the fire.”

Firefighters worked hard to contain the blaze to the building well into Monday morning. By noon, only a small crew remained at the site.

A total of 29 fire service personnel responded to the fire alongside municipal enforcement officers and police. No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire is still being investigated.

“We’re conducting interviews of staff and witnesses and reviewing information provided by the fire department as well,” said Dewar.

“We have not determined the cause and origin of the fire at this particular time.”

In recent years, there have been numerous calls to implement a 911 service in the Northwest Territories.

Much of Canada’s three territories are without the service, meaning residents have to dial a seven-digit number in the event of an emergency.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund split into separate funding streams

The Government of the Northwest Territories has announced that the Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund will now be split into three distinct funding streams.

Fort Smith police asking for assistance with missing person

Fort Smith RCMP are asking for the public’s assistance in locating a missing person.

Ministers congratulate new Major Project Review Tool

Ministers Jay Macdonald, Caitlin Cleveland, and Caroline Wawzonek have released a statement following the launch of the Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board’s new Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool last week.

Tests at Łutsel K’e Dene School show safe drinking water

Water testing for the Łutsel K’e Dene School has been completed, showing lead levels below the maximum acceptable level in all water fixtures.

Northern Distance Learning Program plans to expand in upcoming school year

The Northwest Territories’ Northern Distance Learning Program has undergone an evaluation to help guide improvements to the program, improving student access to virtual high school programming.