NWT Premier stands by population increase target

The Premier of the Northwest Territories believes a population increase of 2,000 by 2019 is still achievable, despite a succession of economic setbacks.

Bob McLeod met executives from the De Beers mining company on Thursday to receive a briefing on plans to mothball operations at the Snap Lake diamond mine, which is no longer economically viable to run.

The suspension of mining at Snap Lake is eliminating more than 400 jobs, while De Beers also elaborated to McLeod on plans to move more positions south to a new headquarters in Calgary.

In depth: 10 things coming next for the dormant Snap Lake mine

Those developments stand in stark contrast to the territory’s stated ambition, since 2014, of adding 2,000 residents to its population in a five-year span.

However, speaking after Thursday’s meeting, McLeod said his personal view is the target remains achievable.

“It’s a pretty conservative target. I don’t see why we couldn’t work to achieve that,” he told Moose FM.

“We still are working to increase our population and, as we develop our mandate and business plans, we’ll see if we have recommitted to that or not.”

Newly installed members of McLeod’s cabinet are currently working on that mandate, which is set to form a document reflecting how the territorial government’s ambitions and priorities over the next four years will be achieved.

McLeod said he could not comment on a related briefing earlier this week – in which MLAs were invited to consider a range of tax increases totalling some $250 million per year, as a means of helping to balance the books – as he had not seen the report in question.

Meanwhile, Robert C McLeod, the minister of finance, told Moose FM he remains hopeful that the territory will see $34 million in lost annual federal funding reinstated.

The money was taken away last month as the result of Statistics Canada revising the means by which it processes some government data.

Related: Feds say ‘best people’ working on territorial funding crisis

The federal government has already promised to work with the three affected territories in a bid to resolve the issue, pledging to return with an update by March.

“At the end of the day you would hope to get all of it [back],” said Robert C McLeod.

“We made our case to them and the decision is with them.”

He also spoke in support of a National Aboriginal Economic Development Board (NAEDB) report issued on Wednesday, which urged the federal government to change the means by which infrastructure funding is allotted to each territory.

The NAEDB wants Ottawa to abandon per-capita funding on the grounds that it short-changes the thinly-populated but vast North.

McLeod said that echoed a view he put to parliamentary secretary Francois-Philippe Champagne during the latter’s visit to Yellowknife last weekend.

“We told them that if they allocate it on a per-capita basis, that’s not beneficial to us,” said McLeod.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

56 years and on a roll: “Service Above Self” and Yellowknife’s Rotary Club

The Rotary Club in Yellowknife has long been a force of community based action, with streams of growing projects focussed on assisting youth and families in the territory and across the globe, from the N.W.T. to Alberta and the African continent.

RCMP plan to collect data to better understand systemic racism in Yellowknife

Yellowknife RCMP said they plan to take part in a countrywide research initiative that examines racialized people’s experiences interacting with police. Police said the program would involve collecting data on interactions involving use of force, wellness checks and arrests of racialized persons.

Fire information update for Wood Buffalo National Park Released

A fire information update has been released for the Wood Buffalo National Park. The fire danger level in the park is Very High. Currently, there are four new fires active in the park. All four are currently believed to be caused by lightning strikes in the area.  

Robert Beaulieu among athletes honoured for sports excellence and leadership

Robert Beaulieau is being honoured with a prestigious Sport North award and ceremony recognizing the N.W.T’s legend’s athletic excellence, sportsmanship and community service. Beaulieau, a distinguished member of the Salt River First Nation, has been recognized across the territory not only for sports excellence, but dedication to sport and community throughout his career. The athlete and leader is being honoured at a special ceremony this week in Yellowknife.

Prelude Lake Rock Walk to be held this weekend

The GNWT is inviting residents to get outside and celebrate NWT Mining Week 2026 at the Prelude Lake Rock Walk this weekend.