Dominion Diamond directors resign ‘for personal reasons’

Two directors at Dominion Diamond are stepping down “for personal reasons” just days after a group of shareholders urged the company to change its strategy.

The departure of Dr Fiona Perrott-Humphrey and Ollie Oliveira was announced in a short statement early on Thursday.

Dr Perrott-Humphrey, a financial journalist turned mining investment analyst, had been on the board for 18 months. Oliveira, a former senior executive with Anglo American and De Beers, joined the board a year earlier.

Dominion is the majority owner and operator of the Northwest Territories’ Ekati diamond mine. The company also owns 40 percent of a second NWT diamond mine, Diavik.

Earlier this week, the Canadian Press reported a group of unhappy Dominion shareholders had criticized the company for “misguided policies and missed opportunities”.

Shareholders’ criticism voiced in a letter included complaints about the company’s marketing strategy and overall business plan.

Dominion reported significantly lower Q3 diamond sales by volume in November, but this month said its plans to expand the Ekati mine remain on track.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Water levels “above average” on Mackenzie at Aklavik as ice-break up underway

Environmental scientists with the territory’s Environment and Climate Change department said that ice break-up along the Peel River is “near complete.” Data collected as of this morning showed that ice break up continues along the Mackenzie Delta, with water levels "above average" in Aklavik.

New program formally integrates wildland and structural firefighting

The territorial government and the Northwest Territories Fire Chiefs Association have just unveiled a new program that formally integrates N.W.T. wildfire and community emergency response. While the Wildland Urban Interface program is aimed at responding to a need for “stronger integration” between wildland and structural firefighting during wildfire threats, some responsibilities remain delegated to the municipal level.

No word yet on what caused Taltson’s newly repaired surge tank to leak

It will be “several” more days before more is known about a reported leak at the Taltson Station’s surge tank. South Slave hydro customers were transfered to diesel fuel this weekend as N.W.T.’s Power Corporation inspects the Talston surge tank, after some water was observed leaking from the tank.

GNWT alerts Canvas users of security breach

The Government of the Northwest Territories is notifying users of the Canvas learning management platform of a security incident involving Canvas’ parent company, Instructure.

NTPC warns of potential short outages in Inuvik

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation is warning residents of Inuvik that during planned work on the local power plant the community may experience short intermittent power outages.